The initial period following discharge from the hospital is a critical time. At KAUST Health, we want to ensure that you are given the highest quality of care and support to facilitate optimal infant development and maternal recovery.
With that in mind, we have launched a postnatal home visit service to support the overall wellbeing of newborns and their mothers. For the first week after mother and baby are discharged from the hospital after delivery, a member of the Home Visit team will come to your home at KAUST to provide clinical assistance, support and education to empower you as a family.
The visits are free of charge to all KAUST community members who qualify.
WHO IS THIS SERVICE FOR?
This service is available to all mothers and babies returning to KAUST within the first seven days after their discharge from the hospital. The number of visits and duration is adapted according to each family’s individual needs.
WHAT SHOULD I EXPECT DURING A POSTNATAL HOME VISIT?
During your home visit, you and your baby will be given clinical assistance, support and education to empower you as a family in the first days of having your new baby at home. This will include:
- Education and assistance in recovery, feeding, bathing, cord care
- Identity documentation for new baby
- Safe sleeping advice
- Settling techniques
- Information about returning to exercise after baby
- Infant feeding advice
- When to contact emergency services
- Postnatal support service information
- And more…
The home visit team will contact you while you are in the hospital to schedule an appointment as soon as possible after you return to KAUST. You can also contact them directly via the contact information below.
All appointments are between 8am-12pm Sunday-Thursday.
WHY ARE POSTNATAL HOME VISITS IMPORTANT?
Global organizations such as UNICEF and WHO recommend support services in this critical period after the birth of your baby. This ensures both you and your baby remain healthy, recover appropriately and establish good feeding practices.
CONTACT OUR HOME VISIT STAFF:
- Ms. Liz Mazey – Program Lead - Senior Registered Midwife & Registered Nurse, BSc Honors in Midwifery Practice. Email: email@example.com
- Ms. Anna Smethurst – Midwife & Registered Nurse, International Board Certified Lactation Consultant. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org