COVID-19 Update—March 20
Today the Coronavirus Taskforce is announcing further COVID-19 measures to be implemented immediately. This is following part of our planned and preventative approach and is in line with recent Saudi government announcements.
We continue to strongly recommend our residents do not leave campus, and we are implementing a targeted closure of the gates to restrict travel.
There are no confirmed COVID-19 cases on campus, and we are working hard for that to continue to be the case.
The following are items that we wish to update you on today.
Gate entry restrictions
For community members currently on campus, the gate moves to one-way only with immediate effect. KAUST residents may leave, but they will be unable to return to KAUST for 14 days or until the Saudi Arabian government relaxes domestic travel restrictions. To support this effort, Gate 1 is now the only gate in operation.
Residents who are away from KAUST and planning to return should make every effort to do so as soon as possible. If support is required, email CoronavirusTaskforce@kaust.edu.sa or call 012-808-0950.
All KAUST staff and students who are currently residing outside of KAUST need to remain in place and, where possible, will need to work or study remotely.
Work haul, medical, community buses and taxis
- The work haul bus is suspended until further notice. Employees who are impacted should contact their line managers about working arrangements.
- The hospital buses going to DSFH and IMC will continue to run. Individuals may leave and return to KAUST for confirmed hospital appointments, but they must show proof of appointment to the driver or the Gate 1 security team.
- All taxi bookings are cancelled and the services are suspended until further notice.
- The on-demand bus service will continue to be available with a person limit of four people per bus (or per family size).
- Individuals who live in KAUST but work outside of KAUST will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. If you are affected by this, please contact the Coronavirus Taskforce. We strongly suggest that these individuals' employers take the necessary measures to have their staff work from home.
Shipments and services provision
- Ambulances and delivery of commercial goods and supplies (including food supplies to Tamimi) will continue entering the KAUST premises.
- Personal shipments will continue to be delivered. We are working on a delivery and receiving system to be managed at the Gate 1 Visitor Center.
- IT Service Desk (email/phone support): IT will continue to provide email and phone support for standard IT requests and issues; however, support will only be conducted remotely in order to maintain the safety of community members and our IT staff. To reach us, please call 910 or 012-808-0910 or email ITServiceDesk@kaust.edu.sa.
- IT Store (building 2 by House of Donuts): Will be closed as of Sunday, March 22.
- End-user support: End-user support will continue to attend all campus office tickets and support remotely work from home initiatives.
- Data centers and critical facilities: The Data Center and Infrastructure Services will continue its operations as usual.
- Network: All network services will remain operational, including internet, Wi-Fi and TV services. The network will continue to support all residential units, including the quarantined residential units. We will support quarantined residential units remotely where possible, and in the cases of hardware failures, we will work with KH to ensure that the team is able to safely visit the unit.
All other IT services will be running business as usual.
We appreciate your patience and cooperation as we deliver our services while navigating through these challenging times. You may always refer to our Work from Home Guide on the IT website.
The KAUST Coronavirus Taskforce is your dedicated source for information about COVID-19 adjustments happening on campus and related to the KAUST community. Be cautious about information you read on social media and through other sources.
Stay informed about COVID-19 and the University's efforts by visiting KH.kaust.edu.sa/coronavirus.
You can also contact our dedicated helpline at CoronavirusTaskforce@kaust.edu.sa or by calling 012 808 0950, Sunday to Thursday, 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
Please take a look at the Virtual Community Hub for things to do in these unusual and challenging times.
Thank you for your continued support and help in making the KAUST community as safe as possible. Our priority is to keep you safe and well.